Zoloft (Generic Sertraline) is a potent antidepressant medication, that is especially helpful for the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety disorders, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and premenstrual disorder. This medication belongs to pharmaceutical class of Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
Main therapeutic Category -
- Anti-depressive Agents
- Central Nervous System Agents
- Neurotransmitter Uptake Inhibitors
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
Its generic component Sertraline influence the chemical action in the central nervous system. It corrects the disturbed neurochemical in people suffering with depression, panic, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive symptoms.
The Mechanism of Action of Zoloft -
The Zoloft [Generic Sertraline] has its effect on Pre-Synaptic membrane where it selectively inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. Consequently higher concentration of serotonin accumulates in the CNS, which is the main reason of numerous functional changes. With the enhanced serotonergic neurotransmission the antidepressant action is produced and the drug corrects this imbalance.
The Dosing Regimen -
Commercially Zoloft is available in immediate release form of dosing strength 50mg. Ask your health care provider to prescribe the apt dosage as per your medical condition.
Adult Dosing Regimen for Depression-
- Initial Dosage: 50mg - once a day, an increment to 50mg is made weekly.
- Maximum dose: 200 mg/day
Adult Dosing Regimen for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder -
- First Day: 50mg - once a day, an increment to 50mg is made weekly. Likewise increase the dosage by 50mg weekly.
- Maximum dose: 200 mg/day
Commonly Observed Side Effects associated with Zoloft are as under -
The ill administration of the Zoloft may show harmful effects such as violent reaction, perplexity, tremor, excited mind-set, fever, inability to sit still, amplified thirst and lack of energy. Immediately consult your doctor if any of these become bothersome.
DO NOT take this medication in case of underlined Contraindications -
- DO NOT use If you have an allergy to Sertraline.
- Sertraline is NOT PERMITTED for use in psychotic conditions connected to Dementia.
- DO NOT take this medication if you are pregnant or breast feeding. It can pass through breast milk and may harm the baby.
Noteworthy Precautionary Measure to be Taken with Seroquel:
- Tell your doctor about all the OTC and prescription medications you are using.
- To avoid any risk of side effects start with the low doses of the medication.
- Follow medicinal regimen religiously and on the same time for greater benefits.
- NOT advised for children without a doctor's advice.