Tofranil tablets [Generic Imipramine] 25mg is an anti-depressant medication to relieve symptoms of depressive diseases including anxiety, disturbed sleep, change in appetite, fatigue, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, difficulty thinking or concentrating, and recurrent thoughts of suicide. Tofranil also used to treat depression associated with personality disorders and chronic alcoholism.
The Mechanism of Action of Tofranil 25mg -
Tofranil tablets contains Imipramine, a Tricyclic Antidepressant. It functions on neurotransmitter response of the CNS that are involved in depression and other psychiatric disorders. It blocks the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin and noradrenaline, which are responsible for mood regulation and stress. The lack of these neurotransmitters is the main cause of depression and with the inhibition of reuptake of these neurotransmitters it allows nerve cells to communicate with each other for longer.
The Dosing Regimen of Tofranil 25mg -
Commercially, Tofranil is available in three dosage strengths 10mg, 25mg, and 50mg. The mode of administration is oral with a glass full of water. Tofranil should be taken exactly as recommended by the doctor.
- The usual starting dose for Adults: 75mg / day.
- The maximum daily dose: 200mg.
Tofranil 25mg Side Effects -
The most common side effect reported in patients is drowsiness. Other side effects are as under:
- Weight Gain
- Decreased lacrimation
You must consult your doctor if these tend to prolong for a longer period.
DO NOT devour Tofranil 25mg in case of underlined Contraindications:
- In case you are allergic to Imipramine
- In case you are pregnant or breast feeding
- In case of cardiac, hepatic and renal disorder avoid this medication
- If you have certain conditions, including: glaucoma, thyroid problem, chronic constipation, adrenal gland tumor, seizures, other psychiatric disorders, problems with blood pressure (high or low)
Drug Interaction of Tofranil 25mg:
Drugs that cause a serious reaction with Tofranil: monoamine oxidase inhibitor, other antidepressants like SSRIs, the antipsychotic Thioridazine, Antiarrhythmics like Guanidine and other antidepressants like the SSRI Fluoxetine.
Essential Precautionary Measures you must follow with the Tofranil 25mg are as under -
- If you are taking this medication to treat bipolar disorder, then monitor your response of Symbyax side effects like mania and hypomania during treatment.
- Do not drink alcohol or grape fruit juice products
- Follow the doctor's prescription label strictly