Symbyax is a combination of two drugs, Olanzapine (Zyprexa) and Fluoxetine (Prozac). Olanzapine belongs to anti-psychotic class and Fluoxetine belongs to anti-depressant class, together they give an effective bipolar / maniac disorder treatment.
The Mechanism of Action -
The Symbyax synergistically leverages the enhanced antidepressant effect of both medications Olanzapine and Fluoxetine. It is theorized that this combination produces powerful effect to increase the level of three neurotransmitters in the brain - serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.
The antipsychotic activity of Olanzapine is due to a combination of antagonism at 5HT2A receptors in the frontal cortex and D2 receptors in the mesolimbic pathway. Fluoxetine is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), that blocks the reuptake of serotonin at the serotonin reuptake pump of the neuronal membrane. It is best effective medicine for treating depression.
The Dosing Regimen of Symbyax -
- The Initial recommended dose: Start from 6 mg up to 25 mg.
- Adult Maximum Dose: 12mg to 50 mg once daily.
- For children below 17 years of age: Take 3 to 25 mg / day.
- Pediatric Maximum Dose: 12mg to 50 mg / day
The mode of administration is orally in the evening. You can take it with or without food.
Symbyax Side Effects -
The most common side effect reported in patients is drowsiness. Other side effects are as under
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Feeling weak
- Difficulty concentrating
You must consult your doctor if these tend to prolong for a longer period.
DO NOT devour Symbyax in case of underlined Contraindications:
- MAO inhibitor is contraindicated for at least five weeks after discontinuation with Symbyax.
- In case of cardiac, hepatic and renal disorder avoid this medication
- Not recommended to be used during pregnancy and breast feeding
Drug Interaction of Symbyax:
Drugs such as Buspirone, Lithium, Sumatriptan, Rizatriptan, Xanax, Omeprazole Clozapine, Trazodone, Gabapentin, Ambien may interfere with the action of Symbyax. Also, tell your doctor about all other OTC and herbal medication you are taking.
Essential Precautionary Measures you must follow with the medication are as under -
- If you are taking this medication to treat bipolar disorder, then monitor your response of Symbyax side effects like mania and hypomania during treatment.
- Do not drink alcohol or grape fruit juice products
- Follow the doctor's prescription label strictly