Seroquel (Generic Quetiapine) belongs to the class of antipsychotic medicine. It is best utilized for the treatment of Schizophrenia in adults Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression). The medication is FDA approved to fight against major depressive disorder, by altering the chemical action in the brain. This medication restore the neuro-chemical balance of the human brain to help you think and act more positively and feel less nervous in your everyday chores.
Main Therapeutic Categories -
- Antipsychotic Agents
- Central Nervous System Depressants
- Tranquilizing Agents
The medication have great therapeutic benefits to improve your sleep, mood and energy level. It can also help prevent severe mood swings.
The Mechanism of Action of Seroquel -
Enclosing Quetiapine as main pharmaceutical moiety. It shows antipsychotic activity in the brain. It revise the mesolimbic pathway and receptor (5HT2A) in the frontal cortex. Its Antagonism action at D2 receptors relieves negative symptoms of schizophrenia. This complete response helps in fighting against depression symptoms.
The Dosing Regimen -
Commercially Seroquel is available in immediate release form of dosing strength 25mg, 50mg, 100mg, 200mg and 300mg. You must follow the prescription label given by your doctor.
Adult Dosing Regimen for Schizophrenia -
- Initial Dosage: 25mg - twice a day
- After Two to Three Days: An increment to 50 mg can be made in divided dosage form, 2 or 3 times daily. Total daily dosage should be between 300mg and 400mg after four days of regular taking medication.
- Recommended dose: 150 to 750 mg taken by mouth [orally] per day in divided dosage form.
- Maximum dose: 750 mg/day
Adult Dosing Regimen for Bipolar Disorder -
- First Day: 100 mg/day; Twice daily, with 100mg of total dosage.
- Second Day: 200 mg/day; Total dosage of 200mg twice in a day.
Likewise increase the dosage on third and fourth day. The increment should not be greater than 200 mg/day
- Recommended dose: 400 to 800 mg per day in divided doses
- Maximum dose: 800 mg/day
Commonly Observed Side Effects associated with Seroquel are as under -
The medication may show severe to moderate side effects such as Chills, cold sweats, confusion, dizziness and faintness. Ask your health care provider if any of these become troublesome.
DO NOT take this medication in case of underlined Contraindications -
- DO NOT use If you have an allergy to Quetiapine.
- Seroquel is NOT PERMITTED for use in psychotic conditions connected to Dementia.
- The medication is NOT advised for pregnant woman and nursing mother. It can pass through breast milk and may harm the baby.
Noteworthy Precautionary Measure to be Taken with Seroquel:
- Tell your doctor about all the OTC and herbal products you are using.
- Start with the low doses to reduce the risk of side effects.
- DO NOT stop taking medication eventually.
- Follow medicinal regimen religiously and on the same time for greater benefits.
- NOT advised for children without a doctor's advice.