Prescribed for major depressive disorders, Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) is an FDA approved anti-depressant. It belongs to therapeutic class of selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
Mechanism of Action of Pristiq:
The medication is an antidepressant. It works on the central nervous system (CNS) by affecting the action of two neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine. It works by elevating the mood of the patients by helping keeping mind sober.
Dosing Regimen –
It is an orally administered tablet. Take the medication with good amount of water before sleep. It can be taken with or without food.
- The best recommended starting dose for adults: 50 mg / daily.
- Maximum Dosage: 100 mg daily.
Mode of Administration:
It is an orally devoured medication, which should be takenwith or without food. DO NOT divide, crush, chew, or dissolve this medication before swallowing. It may take several weeks before the full benefits of this medication are seen.
DO NOT use Pristiq in case of underlined contraindications –
- If you are allergic to generic Desvenlafaxine or venlafaxine.
- If you are suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bipolar disorder, depression with suicidal thoughts; Hepatic disease etc.
DO NOT use Pristiq within 7 days to 14 days before / after of MAO inhibitor. The MAO inhibitors to be avoided are linezolid, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, rasagiline, methylene blue injection, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.
Attention – In case of Pregnant or Breast Feeding Mothers:
The medication is not recommended during pregnancy due to potential risk to fetus. It can also pass through breast milk and can cause the life threatening effects on the baby. You should not breast-feed while consuming this medication.
Signs of Side effects –
Ill administration of Pristiq may cause mild or severe, temporary or permanent side effects. Some side effects may be abnormal dreams, anxiety, chills, constipation, decreased appetite and diarrhea. Consult your doctor if any of these become bothersome, especially if they do not go away.
Noteworthy Precautionary Measures to be taken with Pristiq:
- Pristiq alters your thinking process; hence use it cautiously when you are performing any task that requires alertness.
- Avoid Grape fruit juice, alcohol and smoking with this medication.
- Avoid any activity that requires mental alertness.
- Prohibit the alcoholic usage.
Proper Storage Conditions
Do not freeze the medication. Keep away from small children reach. Store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat.