Lexapro is an anti-depression medication. Enclosing generic Escitalopram Oxalate it helps relieve symptoms of depressive diseases including anxiety, disturbed sleep, change in appetite, fatigue, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, difficulty thinking or concentrating, and recurrent thoughts of suicide. This medication is also beneficial to treat depression associated with personality disorders and chronic alcoholism.
The Mechanism -
It acts on the central nervous system. It increases the activity of the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) that helps in blocking the reuptake of serotonin. The overall mechanism, helps restoring feelings of well being, reduce depression and alleviating symptoms such as anxiety.
Dosage and Administration
Lexapro (Escitalopram Oxalate) tablets are available in 2 separate strengths, which are 10mg and 20mg. The most recommended dosage by Physician is 10mg / day. On your doctor's prescription you can increase the daily dosage to 20mg / day.
The best time to take the medicine is morning or at night before bed time.
Lexapro Side Effects -
The most common side effect reported in patients is drowsiness. Other side effects are as under
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Feeling weak
- Difficulty concentrating
You must consult your doctor if these tend to prolong for a longer period.
DO NOT devour Lexapro in case of underlined Contraindications:
- MAO inhibitor is contraindicated for at least five weeks after discontinuation with Lexapro.
- In case of cardiac, hepatic and renal disorder avoid this medication
- Not recommended to be used during pregnancy and breast feeding
- Drugs such as Buspirone, Lithium, Sumatriptan, Rizatriptan, Xanax, Omeprazole Clozapine, Trazodone, Gabapentin, Ambien may interfere with the action of Lexapro. Also, tell your doctor about all other OTC and herbal medication you are taking.
Essential Precautionary Measures you must follow with the medication are as under -
- If you are taking this medication to treat bipolar disorder, then monitor your response of Lexapro side effects like mania and hypomania during treatment.
- Do not drink alcohol or grape fruit juice products
- Follow the doctor's prescription label strictly
- Do not perform any strenuous activity
- Medicine should not be consumed with vitamin, minerals or any kind of health supplement