Ambien is popular prescription medication for the treatment of Insomnia. It is a potent drug of class sedative-hypnotics. It generates a tranquilizing effect in the brain which is helpful to make a patient sleep with ease at night.
Use Ambien if you are suffering from underlined condition:
- Trouble sleeping
- Severe insomnia
It lowers the action within the brain, and it incorporates complete sleep. Available in controlled release formulation it is useful for the treatment of both short-term treatment of sleep disorder and acute insomnia.
The Mechanism of Action
Enclosing Zolpidem as active pharmaceutical ingredient. As a controlled release tablet Zolpidem has a rapid onset but short duration of hypnotic action. This medication shows its therapeutic benefit by regulating the benzodiazepine receptor within the GABAA receptor chloride channel macromolecular complex. It has strong sedative action but only minimal anxiolytic, or anticonvulsant properties.
The Dosing Plan of Ambien:
The best recommended dosage: 10mg/day.
Mode of Administration: It is an orally administered tablet. Take the medication with good amount of water before sleep. It can be take with or without food.
For Insomnia: Starting dose of 6.25 mg in case of women and 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg in case of male patients. Take one time at night prior to bedtime with at least 7-8 hours remaining before the time of awakening.
- In case the medication is Ineffective: On your doctor's recommendations increase the dosage up to 12.5 mg.
- The maximum recommended dose: 12.5 mg/day immediately before sleep time.
DO NOT use Ambien in case of underlined Contraindications
- If you are allergic to Zolpidem generic or any of its ingredients.
- DO NOT use this medicine if you are also using sodium oxybate, or you are taking any other sleep inducing medication.
- In the presence of medical malady like as of sleep apnea, hepatic or renal impairment, myasthenia gravis, lung diseases, history of mental illness, depression and drug addiction, a patient requires taking doctor consultation before using Zolpidem.
Drug Interaction with Ambien:
- Flumazenil reverses the sedative/hypnotic effect of Zolpidem.
- Increased depressant effects w/ CNS depressants
- Increased plasma concentration w/ Itraconazole, Ketoconazole.
- May decrease plasma concentration of carbamazepine.
- Reduced hypnotic effect w/ rifampicin.
- Increased risk of prolonged sedation and respiratory depression w/ ritonavir.
Signs of Side Effects shown by Ambien
Ill Admistration or over dosage of the medication Ambien may cause unwanted side effects as under:
- Irregular cardiac beats
- Tired feeling
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle pain
- Lack of coordination
- Lightheaded feeling
You may consult your health care provider if any of these become bothersome and complete stop Ambien usage.
Essential Precautionary Measure with Ambien is as under:
- Ambien alters your thinking process; hence use it cautiously when you are performing any task that requires alertness.
- Avoid Grape fruit juice, alcohol and smoking with this medication.
- Avoid any activity that requires mental alertness.
- Prohibit the alcoholic usage once you are also taking Ambien.
Proper Storage Conditions
Do not freeze the drug and store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep away from small children reach.