Generic Nortriptyline is available online by brand name is an FDA approved prescription drug for the management of depression, mood swings and other mental disorders. It helps to restore chemical imbalance in the brain in addition to depression treatment.
The Generic Nortriptyline is also used for the management of nicotine dependence. It helps to quit smoking. It is a remarkable medication to help solve issues such as mood, anxiety, disturbed sleep, loss of sex drive, tension, and helps in restoring feeling of well-being and energy level.
Therapeutic Class -
- Antidepressive Agents, Tricyclic
- Central Nervous System Depressants
- Non-Selective Monoamine Reuptake Inhibitors
- Serotonin Modulators
The Mechanism of Action of Aventyl -
Aventyl (Nortriptyline) belongs to a group of drugs known as tricyclic anti-depressants. It demonstrates its operation on a CNS by inhibiting the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin at the neuronal membrane. It elevates pressor effect of norepinephrine but obstruct the pressor reaction of phenethylamine. It interferes with the transport, release, and storage of catecholamine and helps in the relief of symptoms of depression.
Dosing Plan of Aventyl
The best recommended dose of Aventyl - Generic Nortriptyline is 25mg. The Aventyl is orally devoured medication, you can take it either with or without food. Swallow the whole tablet with a glass full of water, do not crush or chew it.
- The standard adult dose for Depression Treatment: Administer 25mg tablet orally 2 to 4 times per day with the good amount of water. Highest dosage that can be administered is 150mg / day on prescription of your physician.
- Geriatric Dose for Depression: Administer a dose of 30 to 50 mg split doses / day. You can start the medication on lower dosage for optimum therapeutic effects.
Contraindication of Aventyl are as under -
- If you are hypersensitive to Nortriptyline or any it's inactive ingredient then should not be given the medication.
- This medication may show cross-sensitivity with other dibenzazepines is a possibility.
- The Nortriptyline is contraindicated for the management of nocturnal enuresis.
- Nortriptyline Hydrochloride is not suggested during the severe recovery period after myocardial infarction.
- The concurrent use of Aventyl with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) is contraindicated.
- If you have recently undergone cardiac arrest, bipolar disorder, hepatic disorder, thyroid problem and narrow eye glaucoma then avoid this medication.
Some Signs Side Effects of Aventyl are as under -
Aventyl may cause some side effects if by chance patients over dose or ill-administer this medication.
- Dry mouth
- Sleep disorder
- Blurred vision
- Tunnel vision
- Eye pain or swelling
- Sudden numbness
- Sore throat
- Painful or frequent urination
Precautionary measures to be followed with Aventyl
- Prohibit alcohol intake with Aventyl.
- Discuss with your doctor all the medication you are consuming like sleeping pill, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxer etc.
- It makes you feel dizzy be careful while performing any activity that requires attention.